Karsten Runquist joins for an overwhelmingly deep dive into Kars4Kids. When you donate your car, where does your money go? This question is what inspired me to start this entire podcast. If you like looking through public tax records, learning about real estate speculation, or being frightened by sentient 5-dollar-bill mascots, this one's for you. Follow @karstenrunquist and/or @runquistkarsten everywhere!
- Kars4Kids website, check out the houses and stuff! Pretty fun!
- Car donation: When it makes sense to seek a charity tax deduction, Peter Gareffa Edmunds
- Kars4Kids Tax Filings by year, ProPublica
- Kars4Kids Charity Reneged on Deal, Josh Nathan-Kazis, 2012
- Charity in Taxes Tussle, Wall Street Journal, 2012
- Kars4Kids Charity Loses Big on Real Estate, Josh Nathan-Kazis, 2012
- Court: Oorah is tax-exempt in town of Jefferson, Matthew Mckibben, 2014
- Oorah Tax Filings by year, Propublica
- Did an Orthodox Charity Secretly Buy a Synagogue Just to Avoid Filing a Tax Return?, Josh Nathan-Kazis, 2016
- More on Congregation Oorah, Hannah Dreyfus, 2016
- Oorah Federal Covid-related Complaint, 2021
- The Cruel (but Effective) Agony of the Kars4Kids Jingle, Jake Rossen 2018
- NonProfit Quarterly -- Kars4Kids: What the Jingle Leaves Out (Minnesota), 2017